For a festive start to the new year, we brought our friends together for a great bash. It involved some football, some delicious bites, followed by some soca music and tasty beverages.
All of the food was joyfully received (and eaten. I may even saw a licked serving platter.) Additionally, I received many complements on the black bean salad. especially as everyone was shocked by the sweet, tangy, and subtly spicy combination.
To satisfy the many questions, I have provided the recipe here for more to enjoy. Happy 2013!!
Sweet & Spicy Black Bean Salad
2 cans - reduced sodium black beans
1 can - whole kernel sweet corn
1/4 cup mild salsa
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp adobo light
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp habanero hot sauce
1 splenda packet or sugar substitute
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 red onion, diced
1-2 tsp cilantro, fresh & finely chopped
(1) Drain and rinse the black beans and corn kernels. Set aside.
(2) Mix the salsa, diced cilantro, hot sauce, lemon and lime juices, black pepper, splenda, garlic powder, and adobo until well combined.
(3) Combine the black beans, corn, diced red onion, and spiced salsa.
(4) All to marinate for 4 hours to overnight in the refrigerator.
(5) Garnish with cherry tomatoes or fresh cilantro sprigs and serve.