In North Carolina, the sun is shining and flowers are abloom. It is beautiful. We recently started service with Lee's Produce to get fresh local fruits and vegetables delivered from farm to door. It is wonderful when the produce is delivered.
This week, the bounty included a juicy cantaloupe. I am not a huge cantaloupe fan but my husband is. Using some frozen blueberries from a delivery a few weeks ago, I decided to make something that I always love....Fruit Salad.
1/2 large cantaloupe
2 medium Red Delicious apples
juice of 1 lemon or 2-3 tbsp
2 tbsp rum
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup apricots (canned but no added sugar) or fresh
(1) Run water over frozen blueberries to thaw.
(2) Wash and dice all fruits.
(3) Toss remaining ingrediants together in a large bowl.
(4) Allow fruit salad to marinate for 2hrs to overnight.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Monday, June 6, 2011
My mom recently sent me a care package with delicious banana bread in it. I had to get the recipe to share with everyone because it is super yummy.
(2 large loaves or 3 small)
3 ripe bananas (very ripe)
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup white flour
1 cup soy milk (or any milk)
¼ cup water (add/reduce if needed, depends on how soft and large bananas are)
1 large egg
3 tbl olive oil
2 tbl baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbl cinnamon
½ tbl salt
2 pkts splenda
1 tbl brown sugar
¼ cranberries (the amount is optional- you can leave off or use substitute)
2 tbl Sunflower nuts - optional or any nuts
¼ cup raw oats
(1) Peel bananas and place directly into mixing bowl (KitchenAid).
(2) Use mixer to break up bananas- until mashed up.
(3) Add egg and all wet ingredients and mix for 2 mins (leave back ½ of the water, then add slowly after all dry ingredients are added.
(4) Add remaining ingredients and mix for 2 mins- add the remainder of water or a little more.
(5) Put into greased baking pans. You may sprinkle a little more oats on top and use a folk lightly to press into dough. Bake for about 45 mins, 340 degree oven.
(6) You may want to brush on some egg white and a little sugar (optional) about 3-5 min before taking out. Immediately place on rack to cool.