In celebration of autumn, the turning of the leaves, and the delicious apples. You can never have too many good apple recipes in your collection.
Whole Grain Apple Cake
Recipe adapted from 101cookbooks (Unfussy Apple Cake)
2 cups sweet, crisp green apples, cut into 1/4 cubes (peel on)
1 cup Buckwheat pancake and waffle batter (I used Arrowhead Mills)
1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
12 packets of Splenda or 1/2 cup dark Muscavado sugar (or other fine-grain natural cane or brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 egg + 1/4 cup egg whites
1 cup buttermilk
1/8 cup butter, melted and cooled a bit
1/8 cup 0% fat greek yogurt
2 packets of PureVia (Stevia or another natural sweetener)
(1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray baking pan (preferrably non-stick tart pan) with canola oil (you could also flour but I didn't). I used a round smaller tart pan but this would have been best in an 9x13 rectangular pan. The smaller tart pan made baking time much, much longer.
(2) Place the chopped apples in a bowl with water with the juice of one lemon. Set aside. This really emphasizes the tart flavor of the apples.
(3) Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl (flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg).
(4) In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk (I used homemade 1 cup nonfat milk, 1 tbsp lemon juice, stirred, and let sit for 5 min), egg, and egg whites. Whisk in the cooled melted butter mixed with the greek yogurt.
(5) Pour the buttermilk mixture in with the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Don't stir more than this, especially if using whole wheat flour, like I am, as the gluten formation will make the cake dense.
(6) Drain the chopped apples, shake off the excess water, and fold into the cake batter.
(7) Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with your favorite sweetner. I used splenda. (8) Bake for 40-45 minutes, using a toothpick in the center to test if baked throughout.
(9) Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from tart pan.
Enjoy this with some greek yogurt (my favorite) or ice cream....Oh, how I love autumn.