Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wholesome Sour Cream Apple Muffins

Recently, it clicked in my head. 

To make someone smile, all you need is one surprise trick in your itinerary: I found the one for my husband. Bless his heart. 

I have made the following recipe probably 4-5 times over the last 8 months and he says something similar every time: "Wow, these are great. I don't think I've had these before, they are the best thing ever." 

He thinks I didn't hear him, but each time I laugh and smile, because the base recipe didn't change. I either added or subtracted nuts or raisins. And every time I have used apples. The results are purely delicious. I love one for morning breakfast or a heathy dessert. He would say one or two of these a day, would satisfy his apple craving (his favorite fruit)....



Whole Grain Sour Cream Apple Muffins


(Recipe adapted from Pinch My Salt)


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat bran
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup sour cream, at room temp.
1/6 cup canola oil
1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
2 eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar or 18 sugar substitute packets
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 granny smith apple (or your favorite type of baking apple), peeled and diced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)



Recipe:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, oil, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in apples, raisins, and nuts (if using).
5. Divide batter between the twelve muffin cups (a regular-sized ice cream scoop works well) or into a loaf pan. Sprinkle tops of muffins with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar if desired (I omitted this as it was perfectly sweet).
6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin/bread comes out clean. Note, I made both a loaf and a few muffins. It will take less time for the muffins than a full loaf.







No comments:

Post a Comment