Friday, March 12, 2010

Lemon-Nut Torte

I guess I have been in a baking mood lately. I was baking for Sunday dinner and turned to a very robust and delicious recipe, a lemon-almond torte, that I discovered in SELF magazine. 


I was also excited to also use a spring-form tart pan, that I received as a birthday present from my brother. The torte is a delicious use of almond meal with a citrus appeal. I also substituted barley flour for the cornmeal, since I didn't have this ingredient on hand. It was even lighter than the first time I made it so I highly recommend this substitution. I also used agave nectar but if you don't have it, use honey. 

If you are in the mood for a light dessert, very light on the carbs, this recipe is a must try. 


Lemon-Nut Torte
adapted from SELF magazine


Ingredients:


Torte
  • Parchment paper (optional if use a spring-form pan)
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon almond flour (found at health food stores)
  • 1/3 cup barley flour or cornmeal
  • 4 large eggs, yolks and whites divided
  • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Topping
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar (or honey)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, or a mix)
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Recipe:






(1) Heat oven to 350°. Coat a 8" or 9" pan with cooking spray. 
(2) Combine 1/3 cup sugar and flours in a medium bowl. 
(3) Whip 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks in another bowl with an electric mixer about 5 minutes. 
(4) Beat in zest, oil, lemon juice, and orange juice. Fold in dry ingredients. 
(5) Beat egg whites and salt in a third bowl with an electric mixer until frothy. Beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. (6) Fold 1/3 of egg-white mixture into batter. Fold in remaining egg white mixture in two parts, mixing well. 
(7) Pour batter into pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. 
(8) Remove from oven; cool. Remove cake from pan. 
(9) Prepare topping: Combine agave nectar, lemon juice, and vanilla in a bowl. Add berries; mix. Spoon topping on cake.
(Optional) Dust with powdered sugar and slice into eighths.


Enjoy...I couldn't have just one piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment