As a break from everything, I love to cook. I decided to do a quick recipe to satisfy my cravings for something spicy and comforting, using fresh vegetables. I came up with this recipe for Spicy Shrimp with Bacon. I added fettuccine but I imagine having this over grits would be superb.
Spicy Shrimp with Fettuccine and Bacon
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove
1 tsp olive or canola oil
1 cup whole wheat fettuccine
1/2 cup cooked medium shrimp
4 strips of turkey bacon
crushed red pepper flakes
chopped parsley (optional)
dash of salt
dash of pepper
Parmesan reggiano cheese
1. Cook the turkey bacon on medium heat in a pan. When the turkey bacon is complete, remove from pan and set aside.
2. To a medium fry pan, add 1 tsp olive oil. When the olive oil is hot, add the garlic and sauté until lightly browned but not burned. Add the chopped vegetables.
3. Start boiling two cups of water in a small pot.
4. Sauté the vegetables until softened slightly. Add the serrano pepper (seeds, optional).
5. Add the shrimp and the seasonings to taste.
6. Add the bacon to the dish and reduce heat to a simmer.
7. Meanwhile, add the whole wheat fettuccine to the boiling water.
Cook until the fettuccine floats (6-8 min) and is al dente.
8. Drain the fettuccine and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Add the fettuccine to the shrimp and bacon.
9. Toss together and serve with grated cheese and chopped parsley, to taste.