Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring Corn Pudding

For another Sunday dinner with my girlfriends, I decided to use some fresh spring ingredients like corn and green garlic to make this main dish. I added cheese and used whole wheat flour to incorporate some whole grains. I was pleasantly surprised with the sweet yet savory flavor of this main dish.

The sweet corn and fresh vegetable flavor, brought me back to Chile, a recent travel adventure.

Spring Corn Pudding
adapted from Bon Appétit magazine


1 cup chopped green garlic
1 cup chopped red onion (~ 1/2 medium onion)
3, 15- to 16- ounce cans corn kernels, drained, rinsed, and divided
3 tbsp butter, melted
canola oil spray
1/2 cup grated cheese (mixture of asiago, parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, feta)
4 large eggs
2 1/2 splenda packets or 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp white whole wheat flour


(1) Preheat oven to 400F. Spray 13x9x2-inch rectangular baking dish with canola oil.
(2) Spray a medium skillet with canola oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Cool in skillet.
(3) Meanwhile, whisk milk, eggs, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and 3 melted tbsp butter in a large bowl.
(4) Scrape in onion mixture and green garlic. Add 2 cans drained corn.
(5) Puree remaining 1 can drained corn in food processor until smooth.
(6) Add puree to bowl with custard mixture and stir to blend well.
(7) Add 1/4 cup cheese to the custard mixture. I used a mixture of 5 cheeses. Use whatever you have on hand, preferably crumbly, slightly salty cheeses. Transfer to prepare baking dish.
(8) After 20 min, add the remaining 1/4 cup grated cheese to top of pudding.
(7) Bake pudding until set in center and beginning to brown on top, another 20 to 25 min. Serve warm.


This pudding is a great use of spring time veggies. The garlic works well with the corn. I will definitely use this recipe again and again. Let me know what creations you come up with!



2 comments:

  1. I think I might have to make this!
    mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flavor totally brought me back to something delicious you have made for us before. :)

    ReplyDelete