Tuesday, September 21, 2010

3-Grain Apple Cinnamon Granola

Have I mentioned before, how much I love Costco. While some of the item sizes are ridiculous for a household of 1 or 2, the variety that they offer is fantastic. I love that they have FAGE 0% fat greek yogurt. This yogurt is delicious. I also love that they have the Old-fashioned Quaker oatmeal. The pairing is perfect. 


This morning, I decided to make granola (for the first time). I don't know why I haven't made it before because it was fantastic, like OMG fantastic, delicious....I couldn't stop snacking on it. Made with three grains, oatmeal, flax meal, and sunflower seeds and sweetened with agave nectar, barley malt, and a touch of Splenda, I didn't have to ;)


3-Grain Apple Cinnamon Granola

Ingredients:


1/8 cup barley malt 
1/8 cup olive oil
2 tsp agave nectar 
1 1/2 tsp Splenda or another sweetener
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

1 cup oatmeal
3 tsp flax meal (ground)
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds

1/2 cup apple (chopped into small cubes) * I used Golden Delicious (Granny Smith would work well, also)
1/4 cup almonds (chopped)


Recipe:


(1) Preheat oven to 300oF. Line a baking sheet with foil. 
(2) In a small saucepan on medium heat, mix the olive oil, barley malt, agave nectar, and Splenda. 
(3) To this heated mixture, add the ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until thoroughly combined.
(4) Lower the heat, add the chopped apple and toss until combined.
(5) Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients: oatmeal, sunflower seeds, and flax meal.
(6) Add the heated mixture to the dry ingredients. Toss until combined.
(7) Bake the granola for 25-30 minutes until browned. For crispier apples, lower heat to 275oF and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool or eat immediately (like I did).


Enjoy alone, with milk (cool or warm), or with, my favorite, greek yogurt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment