My husband has been craving cornbread. I have been craving all things spicy lately. In preparation for his upcoming exam, I decided to create a cornbread that was inspired by delicious jalapeño cornbread but also sweetly inspired by pie.
Cherry Pepper Corn Muffins
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
5 packets of splenda + 1 packet of Stevia or 1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp Smart Balance margarine or butter, melted
1/3 cup unsweetned applesauce or 1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
1 HOT pepper, finely chopped
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pans with canola oil or line with muffin liners.
(2) In a small bowl, mix the flours, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the dried cherries and pepper to the mix.
(3) In a medium bowl, mix the margarine and apple sauce.
(4) Carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing only until everything is combined. Since using the whole wheat flour, gluten formation will happen quickly so minimize mixing.
(4) Add 2-3 tbsp of the batter per muffin cup.
(5) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of a muffin pulls out cleanly.
Enjoy the sweet and spicy combo. I certainly enjoyed them with a cup of cinnamon tea and also with a bowl of chili. A multipurpose food ;)