Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Buttermilk Pie


A family recipe (from the in-laws).... Buttermilk Pie. I didn't realize how simple and easy it is and I did my sugar substitutions to make it even easier on the tummy, especially during this holiday season. I will keep this post quick and sweet, just like this pie recipe.

Buttermilk Pie


Ingredients:


1/2 cup Splenda
2 packets Stevia
3 tbsp White Whole Wheat flour
2 large eggs
8 tbsp butter or Smart Balance spread
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
9-inch pre-packaged pie shell (whole wheat if you have it)


Recipe:


(1) Mix the Smart Balance, Splenda, and Stevia together. Stir in the eggs (brought to room temperature) and mix with a fork or whisk until thoroughly combined.
(2) Mix in the flour until completely combined.
(3) Add the buttermilk.
(4) Pour batter into the rolled-out pie shell (unbaked).
(5) Bake in pre-heated oven at 425 F for 10 minutes.
(6) Lower the temperature of the oven to 350 F to continue to bake for 35 minutes. You will see the pie inflate and slightly brown when complete. Check with a fork or knife to ensure cooked in the middle.
(7) Allow pie to cool and settle before cutting and serving.


Enjoy this delicious treat. I enjoy it everytime I visit my in-laws and now with the recipe in hand, we can enjoy it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment