The crab cake is a well celebrated appetizer (or entreé) in the southeast. I have made crab cakes with a recipe that was very easy and healthful. Having guests over recently, I came up with the idea of using a crab cake-like filling to stuff delicious white button mushrooms. It turned out to be a delicious and quick appetizer, especially since the filling can be made when you have time, then stuffed and baked shortly before guests arrive. Let me know what you think.
Toasted Crab-stuffed Mushrooms
- Large white button mushrooms
- Lump crabmeat, 1 small can
- Lite mayo, 1-2 tbsps
- Onions, finely chopped (best in food processor)
- Celery, finely chopped (best in food processor)
- Canola oil spray
- cayenne pepper, 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
(1) Preheat a medium sauté pan and spay with canola oil.
(2) Mix the lumpcrab meat with mayo, onions, celery, cayenne, salt and pepper, according to your taste.
(3) Form the crab mixture into small patties.
(4) When the pan is very hot, place patties in pan, flipping over after browning.
(5) Allow crab patties to cool completely on a saucer after cooking.
(6) Meanwhile, clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth.
(7) Using a spoon, scoop out the center of the button mushrooms, chopping these pieces for later. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
(8) Mix the chopped mushroom stems and centers with cooled crab patties, browned on both sides.
(9) Stuff the mushrooms with a tbsp (a spoonful) of the mixture. If desire, dust parmesan cheese over the tops of the mushrooms.
(10) Place the mushrooms in the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes before guests arrive.
Enjoy the savory bites and enjoy the omega-3s....