Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Thai meatballs and Cabbage wraps
The other day I read over one of my favorite cookbooks, South Beach 30-minute meals. I got inspiration from a beef recipe for a thai sauce. With ground turkey on hand, I decided to make meatballs!!
A delicious snack to have on hand. Why not eat them as a wrap? If the Greek make gyros with falafel, I could certainly wrap my meatballs in Cabbage!!
Put a couple of cups of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add a half cabbage to the pot, flat side down. Cover and steam for 8-10 min, until the leaves can separate and pull apart easily. The leaves should still be thick, not limp.
While the cabbage is steaming, prepare the sauce for the ground meat.
Thai Seasoning Sauce and Meatballs
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon chili paste
1 teaspoon granular sugar substitute
1/2 cup finely diced onions
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1 tbsp canola or olive oil (or spray)
3/4 lb. lean ground turkey
1. Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together.
2. Add the sauce ingredients to ground turkey. Kneed together and form into small balls.
3. Heat oil in a small pan on medium heat.
4. Add meatballs once the pan is hot. Brown meatballs on all sides.
5. Reduce heat of pan. Cover pan and allow to simmer at low heat until meatballs are cooked throughout.
6. Wrap meatballs in cabbage leaf.
The meatballs were absolutely delicious and a great snack to have on hand. Enjoy as an entree with a side dish or as an appetizer/snack. Don't let your friends know you are making them because you probably won't want to share. ;)